1995 – 2010
Going into this phase of Angela’s career, and bearing in mind that very few Scots have experience of such extreme hill running as she has, or have competed in races as far afield as she did almost as a matter of course, we should note with reference to some of the following events:
- Back in ‘97, at the 4th Euro Champs., she got 4th behind the Italian Ladies,1,2 and 3… but beating Carol Greenwood (the brilliant English lady) into 5th..
- At Bergen, there’s interesting informational detail like she had trained 6 weeks at altitude (St Moritz, and Davos) and was cycling and camping – in the Rhone Valley and went for the Susa race which was poor, but then at Bergen it was like ‘effortless’ .. beating Birgit Sonntag, Germany (who had been winning everything)
- Sierre Zinal.. when Angela got the record, 2001, none other than Veronique Marot held it for at least 10 years previously. Angela took 5 minutes from it and she became the first woman under 3 hours.
- For the Alaska WMRT, Angela had spent Summer in Colorado. In the race she was second and won first team along with Tracey and Lynne.
- In Shilthorn, Alps, the race has an ending called ‘the infernal 1/2 mile’ which is uphill for 2,500 metres and then the last 400 is desperately steep (Angela’s absolute ‘cup of tea’!!) and she felt very strong having been at altitude.
- There are several Sky-Running events and from those she recalls in particular the Dolomites, Piz Boe, over a distance of 24kms, 1 climb, I descent and again doing superbly well and hard for it.
- Going onto KIMMS (Karrimor International Mountain Marathon which became the OMS) which involves mountain marathons over 2 days and bivvying out overnight, Angela recalls the event at ‘Manor Water’ (Dumfries and Galloway) in ’95 and says the weather was shocking. With Nicola Davis she got First Elites; then same in South Wales in ‘96 again with Nicola. …
These are a few of the many quite outstanding feats which she has to her credit and they should be borne in mind while studying the following tables – ‘endurance events’ is not an accurate description of most of them, they are more than that.
|KIMM||5th||-||-||-||-||-||at Manor Water w Andy Heminghway|
|Carnethy||2nd||1st||1st||1st||1st (rec)||1st (rec)||2000 24th o/a|
|Glen Clova||1st||-||1st||1st rec||-||-||98 SC Champs|
|British Champs||2nd||5th (37 pts)||1st (62)||1st (66)||1st (88)||1st (88)|
|Scottish Champs||2nd||3rd= (DMcD 23pts||1st (44)||1st (44)||-||-||–|
|Manx Mtn Marathon||1st||-||-||-||-||–||–|
|Aonoach Mor||2nd||-||-||1st||-||-||WMRT Trial '98|
|Euro Mtn Trophy||-||16th (Snowdon)||-||-||2nd##||5th (Poland)||–|
|WMRT||4th (Edinburgh)||34th (France)||-||13th (Czech)||1st (Bergen)||Bergen uphill only|
|LAMM||–||9th (B Class)||-||3rd *A Class)||-||-||96 with sister||98 with A Spencely***|
|Benn Rhinnes 5 tops||1st (13o/a||1st rec||-||-||-||-||–|
|Sco WMRT Trial||2nd Pentlands||1st Tweedsmuir||1st Dreghorn||-||-||-||–|
|Elidr Fawr||-||3rd||-||-||-||GB Champs-50 o/a|
|Ian Hodgson Relay||5th||-||-||-||-||-||w Blair-Fish;49th team|
|Highland Cross||1st||-||-||-||-||-||20m run/30 bike|
|Pentlands Skyline||1st||-||-||1st rec||1st||-||1998 10 o/a|
|Glas Tuleachain||-||1st||-||1st rec||-||1st 10 o/a||uphill only/ '96 inaugural race|
|N Berwick Law||-||2nd||-||1st rec||-||-||–|
|Uphill Races Champs||-||5th=||-||-||-||-||Only 1 race-11 pts|
|Bog and Burn||-||-||1st 63pts 4 races||1sst 3 races||-||-||midweek series|
|Braeval Uphill||-||-||1st||1st rec||-||-||Aberfoyle|
|Whangie Whizz||-||-||-||1st rec||-||-|
|Stuc a Chroin||-||-||1st||-||-||1st rec||Sco&GB Champs 3rd o/a|
|Two Breweries||-||-||-||1st||-||1st||16th o/a|
|Meall a Buchaille||-||-||-||1st||-||-||–|
|Buttermere Horseshoe||-||-||-||1st||-||-||49th 0/a|
|Culter Horseshoe||-||-||-||1st rec||-||-||Sco & GB Champs|
|Anniversary Waltz||-||-||1st||-||1st||-||GB Champs|
|Three Peaks||-||-||-||-||1st||-||GB Champs|
|Donnard Commedagh||-||-||1st||1st||-||-||GB Champs|
|Welsh 100m Peaks||-||-||-||-||1st||-||Aber Foresore GB Champs|
|Tour of Pendle||-||-||1st||-||-||-||–|
|Pendle Fell Race||-||-||-||1st rec||-||-||Sc & GB Champs|
|Clachnaben||-||-||-||1st||-||1st rec||2000 35th o/a|
|Eildon 2 Hills||-||-||-||-||1st||-||9th o/a|
|Manor Water||-||-||-||-||1st||-||3rd o/a|
|Ben Lomond||-||-||-||-||-||1st||9th o/a|
|Scottish Island Boats Race||-||-||-||-||-||w Adam Ward||–|
Angela’s comments on the Mountain Marathons are –
“KIMM in 1995 was manor water in the Borders and gorgeous weather.
1996 it was Dumfries & Galloway and shocking weather!
2003 I was 2nd overall with Brendan Bolland in the elite, def our best result. Cheviot.”
KIMM – Karrimor Mountain Marathon. Run in teams of two, read more about it at Original Mountain Marathon – Wikipedia
LAMM – Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon
WMRT – World Mountain Running Trophy 0/a Overall
*** First Mixed Team