A SHORT STORY SEQUENCE
BY COLIN J. YOUNGSON
1) HOOKED – teenager’s first romance and his enthusiasm for running.
(This first tale is set in the 1960s; the others from the 1970s and 1980s. Swan Song is from 2017!)
2) FUN AND GAMES – action from a Highland Games.
3) GETTING ON – running his first marathon cheers up a harassed worker.
4) GLORIOUS MUD! – highs and lows for a cross-country runner.
5) INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE – trying to win a fast Belgian marathon.
6) SHAP SUMMIT – key stage in an 850 miles road relay.
7) DOWNHILL – middle-aged runner trains with younger potential star.
8) ULTRA! – novice’s attempt to complete the London to Brighton ultra marathon.
9) INTER-CITY – characters from previous stories combine in a road relay team.
10) REFRESHMENT STATIONS – runners’ pub crawl in Aberdeen.
11) FABULOUS AT FORTY-FIVE? – a factual addition about a significant race.
12) SWAN SONG
Click on story title to access the tale.