The first running of the Edinburgh to Glasgow Relay took place on Saturday, 26th April, 1930 with a 2:30 pm start. The agreed route was:-
St Andrew’s Square to
Maybury Cross (now a roundabout) 5 miles
Broxburn 5.5 miles
Wester Dechmont Farm 4.5 miles
Armadale 5.5 miles
Forestfield Inn 6.25 miles
Airdrie War Memorial 7 miles
Barrachnie 5.5 miles
Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow 5 miles
With the route from Barrachnie going through Shettleston, old Edinburgh Road, Duke Street, High Street and Ingram Street.
The pre-race favourites were Maryhill Harriers and Dundee Thistle with Plebeian Harriers, Springburn Harriers, Irvine YMCA, Garscube Harriers and Bellahouston Harriers all expected to do well.
Nineteen clubs:- Bellahouston H, Canon AC, Clydesdale H, Dumbarton AAC, Dundee Thistle, Edinburgh Northern, Edinburgh Southern, Eglinton H, Garscube H, Hamilton H, Irvine YMCA, Maryhill H, Monkland H, Motherwell YMCA, Olympic H, Paisley H, Plebeian H, Shettleston H, Springburn H, entered for the race but on the day only eighteen faced the starter, Treasurer Henderson of Edinburgh (Eglinton Harriers having withdrawn and only seventeen finished the course due to the sixth Paisley runner failing to take over at the 700 feet above sea level Forestfield Inn. . The race was run in fine weather and resulted in a win for Plebeian Harriers with Dundee Thistle second and Maryhill Harriers third.
A Ingram of Plebeian led at the first changeover from Dundee Thistle, Maryhill, Motherwell, Irvine and Edinburgh Southern. There was little change at Broxburn except that Irvine were now fourth and with Edinburgh Southern fifth and Motherwell sixth. The third stage saw one of the best runs of the afternoon when H McNair took Maryhill into the lead for the first and only time. Plebeian, Dundee, Irvine and Motherwell followed. On the fourth stage, JM Petrie of Dundee and O McGhee of Plebeian overtook A Mitchell of Maryhill with Irvine, Garscube and Motherwell now chasing.
The fifth stage saw WJ Gunn of Plebeian pass WS Russell of Dundee and open up a 30 second lead. At Forestfield, Maryhill had fallen back but were still followed by Irvine, Garscube and Motherwell. On stage six, Max Rayne ran valiantly to hold off the many time Scottish champion J Suttie Smith of Dundee and led by five yards at Airdrie. Maryhill, Irvine and Motherwell were followed by Springburn recovering well from 13th at the first changeover. From Airdrie to the finish there were no changes in position with the Glasgow club Plebeian Harriers moving steadily clear to win by three hundred yards.
- PLEBEIAN HARRIERS. A Ingram 26:49; AM Murray 32:37; E James 23:19; O McGhee 32:07; IJ Funn 28:17; M Rayne 34:45; PJ Connelly 30:37; J Lamond 25:35.
- DUNDEE THISTLE. W Macgregor 27:07; J Brannan 32:23; J Mckechnie 23:37; JM Petrie 31:07; W Russell 29:34; J Suttie Smith 34:07; A MacQueen 31:58; WD Slidders 25:06 3:55:00
- MARYHILL HARRIERS. AH Blair 27:09; DM Robertson 32:27; J McNair 22:39; A Mitchell 32:28; DT Muir 29:22; T Blakely 37:03; D McLean 31:11; D McL Wright 25:54 3:58:13
- IRVINE YMCA. R Wilson 27:32; D McGowan 32:30.5; D Aldie 23:40.5; A Aldie 33:01; D Kerr 30:57; CP Wilson 36:54; D Fry 30:33; J Watson 25:48 4:00:55
- MOTHERWELL YMCA. R Graham 27:30; R Maitland 33:30.5; R Simpson 23:16.5; WJ McEwan 34:48; J Archibald 30:23; JNH Gardiner 36:26; D Shaw 32:23; WH Gardiner 25:35 4:03:51
- Springburn Harriers J Stevenson 28:22; J Mars 33:39.5; J MacKay 23:54.5; W Grant 33:13; G Tully 30:23; R Allison 36:52; E Campbell 32:04; A Stevenson 25:38. 4:04:06
- Garscube Harriers 4:04;17
- Bellahouston Harriers 4:04:47
- Monkland Harriers 4:06:16
- Edinburgh Southern Harriers 4:06:40
- Shettleston Harriers 4:08:16
- Hamilton Harriers 4:09:37
- Edinburgh Northern Harriers 4:13:02
- Dumbarton AAC 4:13:54
- Canon AC 4:15:08
- Olympic Harriers 4:15:11
- Clydesdale Harriers 4:16:24
Inaugural Stage Records
|1.||A Ingram||Plebeian Harriers||26:49.5|
|2.||J Brannan||Dundee Thistle||32:23|
|3.||J McNair||Maryhill Harriers||22:39|
|4.||JM Petrie||Dundee Thistle||31:07.5|
|5.||WJ Gunn||Plebeian Harriers||28:17|
|6.||J Suttie Smith||Dundee Thistle||34:07|
|7.||D Scott||Monkland Harriers||30:18|
|8.||FL Stevenson||Monkland Harriers||24:22|